BHAGs



What is a BHAG? It is a 

  • Big
  • Hairy
  • Audacious
  • Goal
I form BHAGs and I'm persistent (or stubborn? headstrong?) enough to keep working at them. I draw my motivation from the legendary Liberian president Ellen Johnson Sirleaf. Read about her here. She says
"If your dreams don’t scare you, they aren’t big enough"
Here's Ellen Johnson Sirleaf looking at me thinking, "Don't you dare give up on those BHAGs!"

Sidenote: Her quotation also can be heard in the song Dreams by Life of Dillon.

As some of you know I am a (slight) Steve "Pre" Prefontaine fan. Here is a quotation he made famous, reminding me to always pursue my goals.




You can have BHAGs in all areas of life. Don’t make them easily attainable goals. Make them something you will really have to WORK for. I will list my 2018 BHAGs for running below:

5k: Break 18:50 (Overall PR: 19:06. 2017 PR: 19:31)
10k: Break 40:00 (Overall PR: Unknown. 2017 PR: 42:24)
Virginia Ten-Miler: Break 65:00 (2017 & Overall PR: 70:00)
Half-Marathon: Break 1:23 (2017 & Overall PR: 1:38:50)
Marathon: Break 3 hours and qualify for Boston (PR: 3:32. Boston Qualifying Time: 3:05)
Ultras aren’t set in stone for the next year, but I do have two goals:
  1. Break 20 hours in Georgia Death Race (GDR) 68-Miler (I've seen distances ranging from 66 - 74 miles)
  2. Complete 6 ultramarathons, bringing my lifetime total to 25
Are some of these goals out of my grasp? Perhaps. Maybe. But I won’t know until I try. I have a great group of running friends here in Lynchburg (Shoutout to BRTR, Lynchburg Road Runners, and the Hill City Harriers!) who I know will push me day in and day out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bazinga!

Hellgate 2017 Race Report

Days of Future Past – An Allegory for the Christian Faith?